Saturday, June 19, 2010

My so called life in June

Late May to mid June marked my longest time ever spent away from Singapore. And living just out of a few suitcases (albeit in a really nice serviced apartment). Spent a pretty cool 6 weeks+ in San Francisco, my longest ever time there ever. Slowly getting to know the city better. Starting to build some relationships, check out whole bunch of yoga classes, get more into my running groove....there were lonely times for sure but I was glad I was slowly integrating into the city. And California really does have some gorgeous scenery....I can understand why people feel lucky to live there. And soon, I will be there too. Feels unreal. And scary.






I was sad to leave SF, but had to do it to spend a week in Greece with my good gay bud Jarrod, Yeah I know, tough life huh. Another really great experience. I had been wanting to go to Greece for the longest time but somehow never made it there before. We hit Athens to see the sights and found it much more pleasant than people had warned us. And it was cool to finally see the Acropolis and all the ancient ruins. Though honestly, I would have rated Angkor Wat and the ruins in Bagan was being more impressive.


Then, onto Santorini which was stunningly, ridiculously gorgeous. Blue skies, blue sea, cute blue buildings and blue doors everywhere. A picturesque postcard everywhere one looked. Met some cool folks from SF utterly randomly, which turned out to be a bizarro couple much like me and Jarrod. The place is definitely uber romantic. Jarrod was awesome travelling partner though, so it turned out all good.

We spent the last day in Mykonos, which was so-so. A lot more eurotrashy than Santorini. Would have liked to spend another day to see the beaches as such, but had to get back to Singapore for Jason and Jenny's wedding. (more on that later, see below) Flew back to Athens and then connected to Singapore on my favourite Singapore Airlines, ah.
So in all - Greece was great. I am a very lucky girl for having gotten the chance to go. Mildly obsessed with Greek yogurt (eaten drizzled with Greek honey and walnuts every morning, delicious!), octopi (the Greeks sure know how to cook 'em), gelato (lots and lots because it was so darn sizzling hot) and hunting down grilled sardines.

Except - I would have loved to go to Corfu - the one place in Greece I had always dreamed about going to after reading My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell many years ago. Have to save it for next time I guess - hopefully with someone special, ha!

So, got back the early morning (5am) of Jason and Jenny's wedding. It turned out to be absolutely brilliant. Was pleasantly surprised to see lots of the old HK gang in Singapore for the event - Re and Kev and kids, Ricky J and wife and kids from NY, super tall Kelly and Ante, Ingrid and Archie, Pia and family, Mia....and so on. Navin, Min, Lincoln, Garcia etc all in town too.The wedding was smallish, intimate, and very sweet. And there was a dance-off in grand old HK par-tay tradition. Blown away by how many awesome dancers there were cutting up the rug - good times.

What made it so special too was that Jason and Jenny getting married were really the last of the old HK gang getting hitched. Felt like marking of end of an era. Everyone else married a few years with 2 kids in tow. It was so nice to have the old gang back together, like the crazy old times in the early 2000+ days. I ended up doing more shots than I can remember in a long while and danced up the storm. Felt great to cut loose, amongst other things.... And, J&J just seem so darned RIGHT for each other. It's really lovely to see. Glad I made it back to Singers for it. Happiness and sweetness make up a good wedding, oh yeah.

No comments: